Mission StatementAt Briarwood we provide a safe, supportive environment, which promotes respectful, responsible behavior and challenges students, staff and parents to reach their potential as learners.
- The new Briarwood building was built in 2011 with state of the art technology in mind (wireless capability, interactive projectors, document cameras, and sound systems in each room, a 30 station computer lab and additional mini lab in the library)
balanced with a green design (an increased emphasis on day lighting and natural ventilation strategies to reduce energy consumption and use of clean and renewable products.) We received the King County Level Il Green School Awards for student
and staff involvement in environmental stewardship, including food and paper recycling and the Certificate of Excellence in 2011’s Zero Waste Challenge. We are a Sustaining Green School.
- Briarwood offers several special programs for students. They include Special Education pull-out/drop-in programs with certificated and classified staff, Title 1 intervention services in reading and math to support developing readers and mathematicians,
English Language Learner (ELL) support for students learning English, SAGE (Special Approach to Gifted Education) for qualifying 3-5th grade students, the V.O.I.C.E. (Volunteers Of Issaquah Supporting Education)
mentorship program and a Science/Technology Magnet Program for students in grades 4 & 5.
- Briarwood has been awarded several Issaquah Schools Foundation (ISF) grants. Over the last five years we have had over 15 programs funded through ISF including a K-5 guided reading leveled book room, art supplies, new keyboards and technology
for the music program and our After School Assistance Program. We are currently the highest receiving school of ISF grants.
- Music and the arts are very important at Briarwood and each grade level performs an evening concert. In addition to the regular music classroom where students learn how to play marimbas, keyboards and recorders, third, fourth and fifth graders have
the opportunity to participate in the Briarwood Bear Chorus. This is the largest club on campus with over 100 participants! Our PTA sponsors a strong art docent program and provides art enrichment for each grade level as well.
- 5th grade students participate in a three day/two night environmental education program at Camp Colman in Longbranch, WA.
- Students may participate in school sponsored activities such as Safety Patrol, Student Council, Go Green Team, Running Club, Homework Club and After School Assistance Program (ASAP). Other after school programs include Chess and Art.
- Bear Club, a branch of the District’s on-site school age care programs, offers a fun, safe environment for children before and after school.
- Briarwood enjoys a very strong PTA partnership. Family fun activities include our science fair, Read At Home, Math At Home, Pumpkin Carving Night, Pizza BINGO, Variety Show, Young Author's Assembly, Multicultural/Art Night, art docent program,
Reflections art program, Jog-a-Thon, a school carnival and the most recent addition, a movie night.