While we value our volunteers in so many areas of the work we do in the Issaquah School District, we also must be mindful of our continued efforts to ensure virus mitigation, so that our students stay in classrooms as much as possible this school year. In a typical year, we welcome as many as 9,000 volunteers into our schools. We cannot reasonably allow nor process that many at this time.
To that end, we want to phase in a return of our volunteers by starting with those that support academic and social-emotional programming first. These plans are subject to change as we adhere to guidance from the Department of Health for the state of WA and for King County, the Governor’s office and OSPI, for example. Both parties will work together before each phase to discuss current guidance and any COVID impacts to the community before moving to the next phase of volunteers. This year, COVID vaccination will be required as a part of the volunteer application.
Phase 1—Fall 2021
- We will continue to rely on our volunteer coaches to support athletics in our schools.
- We will welcome back Gibson Ek volunteers who support their instructional model.
- We will welcome back our VOICE volunteers.
- We will welcome back our Club Advisors who support programs and our staff advisors in areas like theater, music, and robotics as needed by staff.
- We will welcome two (2) volunteer assistants to our elementary libraries if the librarian chooses to offer this opportunity. One (1) volunteer for the AM portion and one (1) volunteer for the PM portion.
- Principals will collaborate with their PTSA presidents to will welcome back limited numbers of PTSA volunteers for very specific student event support (i.e., senior kickoff events). When possible, we will stay outdoors.
Phase 2—Winter 2021
- We may expand at this time to welcome back some vendors and volunteers who support academic programming in our elementary science enrichment and art programs.
- We may welcome back a larger, but still limited number of volunteers to assist in our elementary libraries.
Phase 3—Spring 2022
- We hope we can expand to a full return of all volunteers as HR staff have capacity to vet the completed applications and mitigation protocols are working to keep COVID rates low.