Classroom Placement for 2019-2020
We are fortunate to have an excellent cadre of teachers at Discovery Elementary School. We confident that in whatever classroom your child is placed, he or she will encounter a warm and well-prepared teacher who is committed to student learning, to student
success, and to your child.
The process used to assign students is a comprehensive one. As a staff, we take the responsibility of class placement very seriously. Beginning in the spring and continuing through the summer, many factors are considered in the process of placing every
child. This includes adjustments necessary in the summer to incorporate new students. If you are new to Discovery and have only recently registered, please realize these factors were considered as closely as possible in
placing your child in the classroom that will best meet his/her needs. Such factors involve:
- the program needs of the student
- a balance of achievement levels in reading and math
- the social/behavior needs of students and their leadership skills
- independent work habits of students
- the compatibility of students (such as separating those who have not worked well together in the past)
- information provided by the teacher through previous parent/teacher conferences
- recommendations of teachers, principal, parents, guidance team or related information from a previous school
- classroom configuration
- the ratio of girls to boys
In late August, the District staff and principal will review staffing based on increases/decreases in enrollment. If significant enrollment changes emerge, then we would need to make building changes in class sections. With the exception of such enrollment
issues, and because classroom placement has been so carefully determined with such a wide range of factors taken into account, parental concerns and requests for changes in classroom placement must follow a clear process and are considered very
carefully. Please link here for more information about the Classroom Placement Procedures.
Thank you for your understanding.