Lunch Box Tips
How to Pack a WASTE-FREE LUNCH
As a King County Green School, our school encourages waste reduction and recycling in the lunchroom and classrooms. Students sort their lunch waste into recyclable materials (milk cartons/juice boxes, plastic bottles, and aluminum cans) and
Here are easy ways to make a waste-free lunch for your child:
- PACK ONLY WHAT YOUR CHILD CAN EAT - Have your child bring home everything they don't eat so you can see what they are able to eat in a lunch period. Only pack a half-sandwich if that’s all your child can eat during lunch.
- USE REUSABLE CONTAINERS to pack the lunch. There are many options for purchase:
- USE A REFILLABLE DRINK BOTTLE instead of disposable or recyclable containers.
- If a refillable or durable drink bottle is not available, select drinks that are packaged in recyclable containers (such as a plastic bottle, an aluminum can, or a milk carton) that can be recycled at school.
- SEND DURABLE UTENSILS, if needed.
- Ask your child to bring home your durable utensils and containers along with any leftover food.