Regulations Manual

Alterations for the 2021-22 school year

Some of the regulations may not be in effect as written given current guidance and/or emergency rules from the state legislature, OSPI, the State Board of Education and other governing bodies. Please see our Returning to School 2021-22 FAQ page for more information on practices that may be altered at this time.

Administrative Regulations Manual & Procedures

Under Policy Governance®, within the directives and limitation listed in the Board Governance Policies, the Board delegates the development and implementation of Administrative Regulations and procedures to the Superintendent and staff, except in regard to issues for which they are mandated by law to take direct action. A comprehensive review and revision of all District policies and procedures was completed between August and December 2015, and the conversion to an Administrative Regulations Manual was completed on February 1, 2016.

Regulations establish legal records and standards of conduct for the school district. Regulations can provide a bridge between the School Board's philosophy and goals and the everyday administration of programs.

The Issaquah School District is continually updating Regulations and procedures to keep current with state laws and regulations as well as best practices. Regulations or procedures on this website may be in transition or in process of being revised.

Search Regulations

Browse Regulations by Series

2000 - Instruction

High School Graduation Requirements Procedure - 2410P

Code: 2410P

Adopted: 8/24/2015

Last Revised Date: 1/1/2021

I. Information for Students and Parents

Each high school will make available for student and public inspection a copy of the state board of education rules and regulations regarding high school graduation requirements and procedures for equivalencies applicable for the school year and the preceding ten years, as well as District-adopted requirements for graduation and equivalencies.

A copy of the District’s graduation requirements for each high school will be published in the high school’s Course Guide and made available to each student and the student’s parent(s) during the annual course request process.

II. Graduation Requirements

To graduate from high school, students must meet four requirements: (1) earn the required number of credits; (2) develop a High School and Beyond Plan; (3) meet the requirements of a District-approved graduation pathway; and (4) demonstrate technology proficiency.

The below procedures provide an overview of how these four requirements may be met. Additional information regarding graduation requirements may be found in each high school’s Course Guide and on the District’s website.


The state requires students to earn a minimum of 24 credits in specified subject areas to graduate from high school. School districts are permitted to establish credit requirements that exceed the minimum number established by the state, or to obtain a waiver of credit- based requirements for one or more high schools implementing alternative requirements.

1. Credit and Course Requirements

For Issaquah High School (IHS), Skyline High School (SHS), and Liberty High School (LHS), the District has established the following credit and course requirements for graduation:  

SUBJECT AREA  IHS/SHS  LHS (2021-22)  LHS (2023)  LHS (2024) LHS (2025) 
4 4
Mathematics  3 3
Social Studies  3 3
Science  3
Career & Technical Education  1 1
Fitness/Physical Education  1.5 1.5  1.5  1.5  1.5
Health  .5 .5  .5  .5  .5
Arts/Personal Pathway  2 2
World Langs./Pers. Pathway 2 2
Electives   4 5
Total Credits 24 28  27  26  25


For Gibson Ek High School, the District has received a waiver of the graduation credit requirement from the Washington State Board of Education. Gibson Ek follows a non-traditional learning model, in which students earn academic competencies through projects, rather than taking classes or earning credits. Information regarding the alternative graduation requirements for students at Gibson Ek is in the Gibson Ek Student Handbook. Gibson Ek students must also still meet the High School and Beyond Plan and Pathway requirements for graduation. Gibson Ek students will have all grad pathway options available to them that are not tied to courses or credits with the one exception being eligible Running Start coursework.

The specific courses required in the above subject areas and any additional requirements are provided in each high school’s Course Guide. The determination of which courses satisfy particular subject area requirements and whether a particular course may satisfy more than one subject area is determined by the District in accordance with its policies. Personal pathway credits may be used toward graduation only in accordance with WAC 180-51-068. The State of Washington requires that students take a Washington State History and Government course. This requirement is satisfied in 7th grade in the Issaquah School District.

Students must earn 3 math credits in 9th-12th grade, regardless of which math classes have been passed prior to 9th grade. Additionally, to meet state law requirements, a student must successfully complete Algebra, Geometry and a 3rd year of Math that aligns with the student’s High School and Beyond Plan. Students may successfully complete these classes at any time between 6th through 12th grade. These courses cannot be skipped over or placed out of. For courses taken outside the District, students are responsible for submitting documentation of completion to their counselor for approval. If appropriate documentation showing successful completion of these courses cannot be submitted, the student must be enrolled in the missing class or classes prior to graduation.

2. Methods of Earning Credits During High School

Most students earn credits through traditional classroom instruction provided by District staff that occurs primarily in a school setting. In addition to traditional instruction, students may be eligible to earn credits towards graduation through the following alternative credit-earning opportunities.

  1. Alternative Learning Experiences
    Students may earn credits by successfully completing courses through the District’s alternative learning experience (ALE) program, as provided in Regulation 2255.
  2. Online Learning
    Students may earn credits by successfully completing online courses or online school programs, as provided in Regulation 2024. The maximum number of course credits a student may earn toward the graduation requirements from online learning and/or outside courses of study (discussed below) is 4 credits (8 semesters). A limit of 2 credits (4 semesters) can be received in one school year. Important: To preserve the integrity of the requirements, no more than 50% of credits in any one subject area, including World Languages, may be earned through such credit options.
  3. Running Start
    Qualified students may take courses at local community/technical colleges during their junior and/or senior year of high school through the Running Start program, per WAC Chapter 392-169. Students may earn both college and high school credits at the same time. In order to qualify, a student needs to have junior or senior status, as determined by the District, and meet all the requirements established by the college.
  4. College in the High School
    The District may offer “college in the high school courses” in accordance with WAC 392-725, which are college-level courses provided on a District high school campus. The courses provide eligible students with the opportunity to earn high school credit and college credit simultaneously. College in the high school courses may be either academic or career and technical (vocational) education. Credits are earned by completing the courses with a passing grade. The District determines, on a course-by-course basis, the amount of high school required credit, or elective credit, or combination of both, that will be awarded for each course. The type and number of college in the high school courses offered at District high schools each year varies due to certain factors, including the availability of staff, student demand, and approval from the credit-granting institution.
  5. Competency-Based Credit
    The District may award credit for knowledge and skills a student demonstrates on a standardized test or other District-recognized assessment, as provided in Regulation 2409 and Procedure 2409P.
  6. Outside Course of Study
    Students may earn high school credits through an “outside” or “equivalency” course of study, which is a planned learning experience conducted outside of school or by educators who are not employed by the District, as authorized under WAC 392-410-340.

The maximum number of course credits a student may earn toward the graduation requirements from online learning (discussed above) and/or outside courses of study is 4 credits (8 semesters). A limit of 2 credits (4 semesters) can be received in one school year. Important: To preserve the integrity of the requirements, no more than 50% of credits in any one subject area, including World Languages, may be earned through such credit options.

With the exception of certain college courses as discussed below, students will receive a pass/fail grade for an outside course of study; letter grades will not be awarded. A pass is a “neutral” grade and does not factor into a student’s GPA for the District. Please note: NCAA generally factors a “pass” grade as 1.0 or a D in its GPA calculations.

The District shall not, in any way, be responsible for determining if an outside course of study meets a college’s or university’s requirements, an NCAA requirement, or is accepted by agencies who grant scholarships. Parents and students are solely responsible for determining any potential implications of earning credit through an outside course of study.

The following are outside course of study options:

i. Learning experiences in P.E. or Music

The District may grant high school graduation credit for school planned or approved learning experiences in P.E. or Music that are primarily conducted away from facilities that are owned, operated, or supervised by the District or conducted primarily by individuals not employed by the District, per WAC 392-410-300. The student’s supervisor must be a certificated instructional staff member, a contractor as defined in WAC 392-121-188, or an instructional staff member working with a certificated staff member/contractor.

A proposal for approval of credit for learning experiences must be submitted to the student’s counselor no later than two weeks prior to the start of the semester for which credit is sought or two weeks prior to the end of the school year for a proposal for credit earned during the summer. No proposals will be accepted after that time. The proposal must be submitted utilizing forms 2410 F3 and F4, which are available in the counseling office. The proposal must include:

  1. The name of the learning experience;
  2. The length of time for which approval is desired;
  3. The objectives of the learning experience;
  4. Which state learning goal(s) and related essential academic learning requirements are part of the learning experience;
  5. How credits will be determined;
  6. An outline of the content of the learning experience and/or major learning activities and the instructional materials to be used;
  7. A description of how student performance will be assessed;
    The qualifications of instructional personnel;
  8. Plans for evaluation of the learning experience; and
  9. How and by whom the student will be supervised.

A non-refundable fee of $30.00 will be charged for each learning experience proposal that is submitted. This fee may be waived for students who qualify for free or reduced meals.

An administrator, in consultation with the counselor and the appropriate departmental staff, will determine whether to approve the credit proposal. The reasons for approval or disproval will be communicated to the student and parents. If approved, the student’s supervisor has primary responsibility and accountability for the plan.

ii. College courses, correspondence courses, and electronically mediated courses

The District may grant high school graduation credits for courses provided by District- approved and accredited schools or institutions, which may include:

  1. Courses provided by accredited four-year colleges and universities, community colleges, or technical colleges;
  2. Correspondence courses provided by accredited colleges and universities or schools approved by the National University Education Association or accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council; and
  3. Courses provided by other schools and institutions, including electronically mediated schools or programs, which are accredited and approved by the District.

Students should consult with their counselors to determine if a school or institution is accredited and approved by the District.

Students seeking credit for courses provided by District-approved and accredited school or institutions must complete Form 2410 F7, which is available in the counseling office. The form must be approved by the student’s counselor and the Principal prior to the student’s participation in the course. Approval cannot be granted retroactively.

At the college or university level, five quarter or three semester hours equals one high school credit. A minimum of 0.5 and maximum of 1.0 high school credit may be awarded for every five quarter or three semester hours of community/technical college.

If the District has an articulated agreement with a college, such as but not limited to Bellevue College or Renton Vocational Technical College, both credit and grade will be submitted for transcripting.

iii. Work-Based Learning

The District may grant credit for worksite learning in accordance with WAC 392-410-315. Worksite learning means a learning experience that occurs at a qualified worksite outside the classroom in fulfillment of a student’s educational or career plan. A certificated staff member must supervise and evaluate a student’s worksite learning.

In order to earn credit, students must be placed at a worksite appropriate to the student’s previous learning experience and educational goals, which must be formalized through a worksite learning agreement and worksite learning plan. The worksite learning experience must be clearly related to the stated educational goals in the student’s High School and Beyond Plan and the student must have taken or be concurrently enrolled in a qualifying class.

A maximum of one credit for worksite learning may be awarded per school year. A maximum of two credits may be awarded to a student during their high school years. Credit may not be awarded for core requirement courses.

iv. National Guard High School Programs

The District may grant credits for participation in National Guard high school career training or the Washington National Guard youth challenge program, under WAC 392- 410-320. Students are required to obtain approval from the District prior to participation in either National Guard career training or the youth challenge program.

Credit toward high school graduation may be granted by the District upon written certification by a National Guard training unit commander or National Guard youth challenge program instructor that the student has met all program requirements.

High school credit may only be awarded for participation in the National Guard youth challenge program if the course content is of high school level rigor as determined by, and to the satisfaction of, the District.

3. Credits Earned Before 9th Grade

Unless a student and family request otherwise, a student who has successfully completed high school courses before attending high school will be given high school credit, which will apply toward fulfilling high school graduation requirements, if adequate documentation establishes either of the following:

  1. The course was taken with high school students, the academic level of the course exceeds the requirements for 7th and 8th grade classes, and the student successfully passed by completing the same course requirements and examinations as the high school students enrolled in the class; or
  2. The academic level of the course exceeds the requirements for 7th and 8th grade classes and the course would qualify for high school credit, because the course is similar or equivalent to a course offered at a District high school.

Students who have successfully completed high school level courses under the above circumstances will not be required to take an additional competency examination or perform any other additional assignment to receive credit.

For courses taken at District schools, high school credit will be given automatically and will appear on the student’s high school transcript unless the student and family request otherwise. Students and their families will be given an opportunity before the end of the 11th grade to remove such credits entirely from the student’s transcript, or to have the courses transcribed only for credit toward graduation and not included in the student’s high school grade point average calculation. Please note that once these credits have been removed or designated as only for graduation, no further changes will be permitted.

A student who would like credit for courses taken outside of District schools should consult with his/her counselor to submit appropriate documentation utilizing form 2410F2. Such documentation can be submitted to add the credit at any time before the end of the 11th grade. Requests are generally made during the junior credit evaluation. Please note that once these credits are added to a student’s high school transcript, they cannot be removed and no further changes will be permitted.

4. Waiver of Credits

The District may waive up to two elective credits required for graduation for individual students for reasons of unusual circumstances, as provided in District Regulation 2418.


Every student must develop a High School and Beyond Plan to guide the student’s high school experience, including plans for postsecondary education or training and career. Students shall create their High School and Beyond Plans in cooperation with parents and school staff.

High School and Beyond Plans must be updated to reflect the student’s graduation pathway and to review transcripts, assess progress toward identified goals, and revised as needed due to changing interesting, goals, and needs. Plans must identify available interventions and academic support, courses, or both, that are designed for students who have not met the high school graduation requirements, to enable them to meet the requirements.

All High School and Beyond Plans must include the following elements as required under RCW 28A.230.090:

  1. Career goals based on a skills and interest assessment;
  2. Educational goals;
  3. A four-year plan for taking courses that:
  1. Includes information about options for satisfying state and local graduation requirements;
  2. Satisfies state and local graduation requirements;
  3. Identifies course sequences to inform acceleration, including dual credit courses aligned with the student’s goals; and
  4. Aligns with the student’s secondary and postsecondary goals.

4. Identification of dual credit programs and the opportunities they create for students, including but not limited to enrollment in advanced courses, career and technical education programs, running start programs, and college in the high school programs;

5. Information about the college bound scholarship program;

6. Confirmation that the student has received required information on financial aid for a postsecondary program;

7. By the end of 12th grade, a resume with the student’s education, any work experience, and any community services.

At the conclusion of each year, the school will provide the student and his/her parents with a report that reflects the progress that has been made toward satisfying the graduation requirements.

The District determines whether a student has met the high school graduation requirement for a High School and Beyond Plan.


Students must meet the requirements of a District-approved graduation pathway in order to graduate. Students who receive special education services under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) must meet the requirements determined appropriate by the student’s individualized education program (IEP) team in accordance with applicable laws and District policy. Students should consult with their counselor for more information on satisfying the Pathway requirement.

1. Smarter Balanced Tests

Students following this pathway must meet the graduation standard on the Smarter-Balanced English Language Arts Test and the Smarter-Balanced Mathematics Test.

2. SAT or ACT Scores

Students following this pathway must exceed a certain score on the mathematics and English Language Arts portions of the SAT or ACT. The state board of education sets the score needed to meet the pathway requirement in each content area.

3. AP or IB Courses or Exams

Students following this pathway must either earn high school credit with at least a C+ grade in AP or IB courses in English language arts and mathematics, or score a 3 or higher on AP examinations or a 4 or higher on IB examinations in English language arts and mathematics. The specific AP or IB courses in each content area that may be used to satisfy this pathway are identified in each high school’s Course Guide.

4. Dual Credit Courses

A student following this pathway must complete dual credit courses in which the student earns college credit in English language arts and mathematics.

5. Combination of Pathways

A student following this pathway must meet the requirements for English language arts in one of the above pathways, and separately meet the requirements for mathematics in another of the above pathways.

6. Sequence of Career and Technical Education Courses

A student following this pathway must complete a District-approved sequence of CTE courses, which will include the potential to earn college credit or earn an industry recognized credential.

7. Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery

A student following this pathway must meet the minimum score on the ASVAB as indicated by the State Board of Education.

III. Graduation Year

Students are assigned an expected graduation year based on the year they begin 9th grade, per WAC 180-51-035. Once assigned, the expected graduation year is not subject to change. Students must meet the minimum graduation requirements in place for their expected graduation year, regardless of what year they actually graduate.

Students who transfer into the District during high school will be assigned an expected graduation year in accordance with Regulation 3110 and Procedure 3110P.

The graduation year for students with disabilities who receive special education services under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) will be determined by their individualized education program (IEP) teams during the year in which they turn sixteen.

IV. Students with Disabilities

Decisions regarding whether a student with a disability has met graduation requirements will be made in accordance with the IDEA and its implementing state and federal regulations and District Regulation 2161 and Procedure 2161P