If a student at Grand Ridge does not make a good choice, one or more of the following consequences are introduced. Consequences are imposed based on the discretion of the adult and/or the frequency or severity of the incident.
- A statement is made indicating the behavior is misplaced. “That looks like a good thing to do after
- Student’s location is changed. “Would you like to stay here or sit at the back table?” or “Thanks for
sitting at the back table until the lesson is over.”
- Choices are provided. “Would the two of you like to work this out together, play here by the rules, or
find another game? What would be best for you?”
- Student is removed from the group to time-out. The child “thinks it over” in the time-out area and comes back when he or she can handle it (the child decides).
- Student fills in the “Think It Over” form before he or she can return to the group. “You are welcome to return as soon as you have written down your thoughts.” Parents sign the form and return it to the office the
- Student is given an appointment to “talk” about the problem. The child first completes the “Think It Over” form. The student is asked to come up with a new behavior before returning to the scene of the rule violation. This
plan must be specific and should discuss what the child will do. For example, “When I feel like fighting, I will go play on the monkey bars,” rather than, “I will not fight.” Parents sign the form and return it
to the office the following day.
- Student makes an “informational” telephone call to his/her parents to discuss the choices he/she made. Consequences and choices to be made in the future are discussed.
- Student meets with administrator and/or teacher/EA. This team discusses the possible solutions or consequences. Parents are informed of the meeting and its outcome.
- A parent conference is set up to include the parent(s) and the team listed above to discuss the possible solutions.
- Immediate disciplinary action for severe infractions may include but are not limited to time-out in the office until a parent conference is held, in-house suspension or immediate expulsion.